[at-l] Re: Pain Relievers

Let me provide a slightly different perspective:

I've used pain relievers maybe twice in the last 10 years.  I don't use
them day-to-day, I don't use them when I exercise, I don't use them
when I hike, I didn't carry them last summer, and I didn't miss them.
Now I don't recommend that for anyone else necessarily, but as a healthy
21 year-old male who never uses pain relievers, I didn't need or want
them on the Trail.

For the first couple of weeks, my knees hurt for the first hour or so out
of camp.  Then they loosened up and were fine.  The pain was bearable and
I like to look at pain as, "a message that should be heeded."

So am I bragging that hiked Ga->Pa without pain?  No way.  I hurt every
day in one way or another.  Just about everybody does.  The lifesaver for
me was VASELINE.  I didn't start with it and that was a big mistake.  The
walk into Hampton, TN had me in tears on every step as my thighs burned.
I thought chafing was what happened to other people.  I was wrong.

Hope this helps someone out there.

|Dan Grossman       danieljg@rice.edu     "My opinions are always my own|
|6360 S. Main       Sid Room 602	     and are never shared by as |
|Houston, TX 77005  (713) 630-8678           many people as I wish."    |
|http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~danieljg      GA->PA 96, PA->ME 97         |