Re: [AT-L] Help me pack for my first longish solo trip

Ok,

Here is a revised pack list (I left out the items I'm not taking since that
confused things last time).  I did manage to shave a few pounds off...
unfortunately I discovered that I left my stove, cooking pot, and fuel off
of the packing list :-(.  Anyway, aside from my first aid kit (which is too
big), this list looks pretty good to me.  Unfortunately, the pack weight is
still 62lbs 6oz.  Now, granted this is with 20lbs of food.... but with only
5 lbs of food the pack would still weigh about 47lbs.

If I wanted to get my pack down from  47lbs to 40lbs for a weekend trip,
what kinds of things could I do?  Where would the seven pounds come from?
Or is this about as light as I can expect to get carrying everything myself?

By the way, I am 6'2" tall and weight about 195 lbs.  This tends to drive
item weights up as my clothes are bigger (large tall tops, large bottoms)
and many small tents are too short.

Thanks for the input!

-- Jim Mayer

Here is the list.  A couple of items are flagged... these were items people
specifically questioned... I included explanations of why I want to take
them below.  Oh, and one caveat... I weighed the pack and food with a floor
scale, so the total weight isn't accurate at the ounce level.

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Clothing
   6       y               6    Suspenders
   7       y               7    Extra pair of socks & liners
   12      y               12   midweight long underwear top
   9       y               9    midweight long underwear bottom
   23      y       1       7    rain parka
   14      y               14   rain pants
   1       y               1    two bandannas
   3       y               3    fleece gloves (windbloc)
   1       y               1    light weight balaclava      **
   3       y               3    midweight fleece balaclava
   10      y               10   long gaiters (OR Crocodiles)
   26      y       1       10   Tevas + fleece socks
   16      y       1       0    midweight fleece pullover
                   8       3    Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Shelter/Bedding
   80      y       5       0    Tent (stakes, poles, rope, etc.)
   26      y       1       10   3/4 length thermarest
   57      y       3       9    down 20 degree bag, stuff sack, plastic bag
                   10      3    Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces 10 Essentials
   4       y               4    Maps, guide book
   2       y               2    Compass
   72      y       4       8    two water bottles (32 oz, filled)
   4       y               4    pen light
   2       y               2    single blade knife & kleenex  ##
   1       y               1    whistle, "dog tag", little knife
   25      y       1       9    first aid kit
                   6       14   Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Hygiene
   2       y               2    Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss
   2       y               2    soap
   3       y               3    baby wipes    @@
   2       y               2    wash & dry things   @@
   2       y               2    foot powder
   1       y               1    kleenex & "cat crap" anti-fog stuff
   8       y               8    toilet paper & trowel
                   1       4    Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Repair & Emergency
   2       y               2    Spare bags (garbage, ziplock)
   0       y               0    spare spoon
   2       y               2    fire kit (fire sticks, candle, matches)
   2       y               2    spare batteries
   1       y               1    iodine tablets
   1       y               1    match safe (includes needles & thread)
   1       y               1    cable ties, rubber bands, paper clips,
safety pins
   3       y               3    50' parachute cord
   2       y               2    thermarest kit, stove kit, tent pole sleeve
   2       y               2    flare & smoke
  0.5      y               1    surveyors tape
                   1       1    Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Miscellaneous
   5       y               5    Sunglasses & spare glasses (3 pr) %%
   5       y               5    Contact lens stuff  %%
   6       y               6    pack rain cover
   5       y               5    ensolite sitpad
   1       y               1    pencil & notepad
   4       y               4    writing paper & pen
   8       y               8    binoculars & case
   8       y               8    camera
   2       y               2    film & spare battery for camera &&
   3       y               3    lip balm/sunscreen
   13      y               13   water filter
                   3       12   Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Food & Pack
   42      y       2       10   Stove, pot, cover, lifter, spices, tea
   23      y       1       7    Fuel & windscreen
  320      y       20      0    10 days worth of food
  112      y       7       0    Pack
                   31      1    Subtotal

        Selected Pounds  Ounces Stuff being worn or carried
   7       y               7    socks & liners
   5       y               5    coolmax T-shirt
   6       y               6    shorts
   1       y               1    watch
   6       y               6    wide brimmed hat
   14      y               14   hiking staff
                   2       0    Subtotal

                   62      6    Total pack weight
                   64      6    Total load

** I like to take the light weight balaclava because

(1) I mostly use the heavier one in camp, I overhead if I hike in it.
(2) On cool nights, the light one is comfy to sleep in and keeps the
    grease off of my sleeping bag.

## I carry a Victronix "classic" and a little, single blade, Gerber knife
that I picked up on sale.  I carry both because:

(1) The blade on the "classic" is very small...
(2) I rarely need a knife, but when I want one I really want it.
(3) I'm afraid I'll lose one and get myself in trouble.

@@ I like the baby wipes in lieu of showers and, sometimes, for their
original purpose.  I also need to pay more attention to clean hands than
usual because of the contact lenses.

%% Contact lenses.  I know... I probably shouldn't be trying them out, but
[rationalization deleted].  Anyway, if the contacts don't work out, I want
my regular glasses as a backup (thus the three pairs of glasses).

&& The camera battery is a little lithium thing that weighs less than half
an ounce.  It's also expensive, and (for me) it is worth the weight not to
have a bunch of partially used batteries around.