Cross Training/weight training

In this month's Backpacker Mag., there's an article about exercises and
weight training that strengthens muscles used when backpacking. I bike
(mostly road, so no flames!) extensively and have just started weight
training which includes some of the exercises noted in the article.

I was wondering if any of the thru-hikers on the list did any of this type
of training prior to their thru-hikes? Do you recommend it?

Two thru hikers I know, (Sarah & Dennis Dooley) currently on the PCT, did
extensive training prior to their hike. I haven't had a chance to question
them on it, but I would think all it could do is help. Anybody "pump up"?

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com