tent weights

To add to the complaining about advertised vs. real tent weights.
I found my SD Meteor Light about 1/2 lb heavier than advertised.  I have
come to expect this.

Marmot has just re-entered the tent market, including some single-wall
offerings (using their mem-brain technology which in theory adjusts
breathability according to temperature).  All their tents in the catalog
I saw had 2 weights: the regular catalog one and an averaged real world
one with stakes, seam sealed, etc.

-jeff

PS - Moss, who make some of the best tents available, are known for
grossly underestimating weight.  I have heard people who have been
totally taken aback when they finally got their tent by how heavy it was
vs. the catalog weight.  Most, however, think it is worth the weight.  Of
course, most are not weight-rabid thru-hikers :-)

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."