Re: How long...

>I know to finish this hike in the alloted time I have set for myself I must
>average 15 miles/hr.  Now I have biked lots of miles/day average ride is
>about 30-35 miles.  Now my question is what is the average time to hike
>15-20 miles.

Blake,
On the section hike I just returned from I had one 15 mile day, and I got
started at about 8:00am and finished at 8:00pm. So what does this mean?
Absolutely nothing. I probably could have done it faster had I not taken as
many rest breaks, but then again I might not have been able to do it at all
without the rest breaks, and while it took me 12 hours to do it I saw
thru-hikers who were doing the same amount of miles in almost half of the
time, if you figure in that many of them were taking a 3 to 4 hour break in
the middle of the day to avoid the heat. What I would tell you after now
having a very small taste of what it is like to thru-hike is to take it slow
in the begining and let your body tell you when it is time to speed up. I
talked to hikers who were doing 20 mile days now who said they could hardly
do a 10 mile day when they started, this aint no walk in the park and you
shouldn't even think of trying to make the same kind of speed that you could
on level ground without a pack, at least not in the begining.

E. George Oeser (aka Needles)
synergy@nc5.infi.net