RE: North Face

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996 16:23:50 -0500 (CDT), Frank Reid wrote:

>The North Face tent I bought in 1969 and used it heavily was retired this
>year only because the rain fly disintegrated from sun exposure.  I gave it
>to a seamstress who is building a new fly.  The point is, NF used good
>material.  It's far superior to the Korean stuff that REI's cheap line of
>tents are made of, which feels brittle and smells of chemicals.

Frank,

Did you contact NF about replacing the fly??  I've still got my '73
Mountain tent and also have gone through the fly disintegration
problem (back in '85 tho) and was amazed when I contacted them and
learned that they still stocked the fly.  The Mountain tent (the
double A-frame one) has been pretty much relegated to a 'loan to
friends who want to go with us' tent, but still remains in excellent
condition.  I remember debating whether to spend the $85 for it, as
it was the last year that they were allowed to make nylon tents w/o
the flame retardant on it, so they were getting rid of them.  Can't
imagine getting rid of it myself . . .

						Keith

**
**  Keith E. Patterson