Re: trail crew work

I'll add my praise for the ATC Trail crew program.  It's really a good
time, they provide food, a place to sleep and you get to spend a week or
more working and sleeping on or near the A.T.  I'm most familiar with the
southern program.  The crew handbook will tell you everything that you
need to know, but here's some info:

It was initially based in Konnarock Va.  and still goes by that name even
though it is now based in a YCC camp next to the Mt.  Rogers Work Center
in Sugar Grove Va.  They work from Thursday to Monday and return to Sugar
Grove on Tuesday and Wednesday.  The base camp has cabins with an
electricity, an industrial kitchen, bathhouses, and most of the comforts
of home.  In the field the crew (usually 6 to 7 people including the
crewleader) set up a camp where there is reasonable road access.  In some
cases they hike in a short distance to get closer to the Trail, which
makes for a more enjoyable campsite, but cuts into the time left for
working.  They have a supply of tents, packs, and other gear, but many
people bring their own.  They carry propane stoves, large water filters,
and everything needed to prepare and eat meals, so you can leave that
behind.  For the most part, you can show up at base camp with almost
nothing and they will outfit you - just let them know first.

It's a great experience!

                - Dave Wilcox (a former 'rocker from '87 & '88)
                              (now an ODATC maintainer)

--
David J. Wilcox (dwilcox@vims.edu)      (804) 642-7088
GIS Programmer/Analyst                  Virginia Institute of Marine Science