Re: Enuf fat?

>> Marshall DeBerry <mdb@access.digex.net> writes:
>> I pretty much lived on Lipton's Noodles and Pasta packs while
hiking,>> supplemented by Squeeze Parkay.  I lost fat, but gained
muscle.  You are constantly bedeviled by having a light pack, but
never getting enough of what you need to eat because of the weight.

         Lipton stuff is also what I mainly carry, but I use Molly
McButter(no fat) and other spices to liven taste. If a noddle
lipton requires milk be added, I use dry cream packets. Also carry
Ramen noodles, add to them cup a soup, along with pieces of jerky.

>>That's why, at least for me, town stops were important, where I
could try to eat somewhat intelligently and stoke back up.

          Do the very same thing, usually try for breakfast, lots
of eggs, bacon, toast & jelly, pancakes. On the trail, just eat a
couple of granola bars for breakfast, I just think of them as solid
cereal, no hassle of cooking oatmeal or such, then the clean up.

>> Eventually, I took to carrying a large jar of peanut butter and
ritz crackers as a supplement to the Lipton's.  I also was a big
fan of Power Bars.

   I wouldn't go on any long distance hike (over 100 miles),
without a pound of peanut butter (prefer chunky). That's what I
snack on during day, along with gorp(heaviest food item I carry),
not crackers.  A pound can last 100-200 miles, depending on your
cravings,  and type of trail your on. PB has lots of fat and
protein, serves as my emergency food, for whatever reason, so it's
worth the weight.

           0
AT 87-88 []|\| PCT 90-91
FT 89     /\ | NCT 92-95