Re: AT thru-hiking seminar/ women on the trail

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, E. George Oeser wrote:

> mainly college age men, and there were a few there, but most of the people
> there were actualy women in their 40's and 50's. I have read that the
> average age of thru-hikers seems to be going up, but never had any idea that
> the amount of women interested in the trail was at such a high level. Does
> this seem to hold true with what recent thru-hikers have seen on the trail?
> It was great to see so many women there and I hope to see many of them out
> on the trail as well, I had often times thought that the trail might be a
> major testosterone festivle, and even though I'm a man I would hate to have
> to put up with 5 to 6 months of that. I think it would be nice to have lots
> of women and their points of views on hiking out on the trail.

Needles,
	Indeed there's a lot of us out there. In 81, when I hiked, I
remember being impressed with these 2 women who were then my age now. I
actually ran into several groups of women, and hooked up with another
solo woman for a couple of great months. You know, although the majority
of hikers were male, it was rather rare that I ran into the testosterone
regalers..On the trail, most of us were .. hikers. There were many ways
that we all hiked the trail, some doing 20 plus miles a day (not I) and
some meandering (I) but I figured we each carried away a really special
set of memories... There were even times that I ran down the trail with a
full pack for the joy of it. I think you'll meet such a great variety of
people out there...as I reread my journal this past weekend, it was
filled with numerous tidbits about not only the nature but the people.
	Pat