AT thru-hiking seminar

A while back I posted about a seminar being held by a local outfitter on
hiking the AT, well I went last night and noticed something that I felt was
very interesting.
The seminar itself was informative, but they didn't cover anything I hadn't
already read in a book, talked to Wingfoot about or read about on this list
(I sat there the entire time wishing that Jim was doing the seminar, would
have found out more than how to handle mail drops that way) but what really
got my attention was the other people that attended. I expected to see
mainly college age men, and there were a few there, but most of the people
there were actualy women in their 40's and 50's. I have read that the
average age of thru-hikers seems to be going up, but never had any idea that
the amount of women interested in the trail was at such a high level. Does
this seem to hold true with what recent thru-hikers have seen on the trail?
It was great to see so many women there and I hope to see many of them out
on the trail as well, I had often times thought that the trail might be a
major testosterone festivle, and even though I'm a man I would hate to have
to put up with 5 to 6 months of that. I think it would be nice to have lots
of women and their points of views on hiking out on the trail.

E. George Oeser (aka Needles)