Re: introduction

Hello! I'm Ann Adair and I've been lurking for a few weeks and this post has
possessed me to reply and introduce myself. I live in Tampa, Florida and
am a musician (bassoonist). My husband and I are planning to hike in the
Smokies next week for about 5 days. We are testing our skills to see if
we really could (and want) to hike the AT next year. For the Smokies, our
current plan is to hike from Cades' Cove to Clingman's Dome. Exciting!
It's been so long since I've seen an actual mountain, not to mention
snow. I sincerely hope that we have enough gear for the second week of
March. Any suggestions for the Smokies next week? We are relatively new
to backpacking, so we're still figuring it all out. I think we are as
prepared as we can be coming from Tampa. We want spring break to be a
really memorable trip, so here we are. I'm a little concerned with the
bears, but I'm hoping that we'll be a little in the early side before
they are all out foraging around. Am I living in a dream?

Ann Adair
GA->ME '97 Hopefully!

On Sun, 3 Mar 1996, Lynn Setzer wrote:

> Hi.  I'm Lynn Setzer (aka Hikester) and am new to the Internet. I live in
> Raleigh, NC, and am a techhie-turned-writer.  By now you may have already
> seen my call for '96 thru-hikers, so I won't repeat it here.
>
> What I will say by way of introduction to anybody planning to hike the
> Smokies this year is this:  in conversation with the park rangers, I
> understand that they are expecting a bumper crop of bear cubs.  Last fall's
> production of "hard mast" -- the term given to the acorns, seeds, etc. that
> beasr typically live on -- was superb.  The net result is that female bears
> are better fed than in years past and so there will be more instances of two
> cubs born to the female rather than one.   Every time I've ever hiked in the
> Smokies I've had up close and personal experiences with the bears, so you
> can bet that I'll be keeping a watch for them!

Follow-Ups: References: