Re: Shanendoah?

-- [ From: Joe O'Neill * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

> do you happen to know in general, the milage and difficulty of the
> Shanendoah section of the AT?  I'm trying to figure out if it is a
> resonable goal to set for my freinds and me.
> thanks,
>
> -jeff

Jeff,

It is 107.5 miles if one were to start at Rte 522 just outside of Front
Royal, Va and end up at Rockfish Gap near Waynesboro, Va. This is
considered 'doing the Park'.

Degree of difficulty is a judgemental thing. Thru-hikers really enjoy
the Park because they can cruise thru at 18-20 MPD ... but they've
already been on the AT for more than 800 miles. Generally it is
considered easy to moderate.

An early-March consideration is that none of the Park facilities will
be open. You'll have to carry everything on your back, or make other
arrangements.

Let me know if I can help further.

Joe O'Neill
Shamrock '95-'00