[at-l] Hennesy hammock on a thru questions

Kajsa,

In 2002 I started a thru with a North Face tent then switched to a Hennesy
hammock at Damascus.  I'd go with the hammock for the central part of a
thru.  You'll spend a lot of time in shelters at the start and end.  If you
have the cash and support you might want to start out with a tent, switch to
the hammock and then switch back to the tent as the weather gets colder.

My main reason for switching to the hammock was just to get a good nights
sleep.  Just couldn't sleep through the night with a sleeping pad.  Slept
great in the hammock.  It did decrease my weight but that was just a bonus.
It was also faster to pitch/pack the hammock than the tent so it'll also
save you some time.

Carry a sleeping pad so you can spend a night in a shelter, use the pad in
the hammock for cold protection or if you want to take a break/nap during
the day.

Never had trouble with wet weather and the hammock.  You're just as dry
packing everything inside/under the hammock as you are in a tent.  Both ways
you end up packing some wet gear (hammock/tent) into your pack.

Did have some trouble with the Sil tarp on the Hennesy but that was my
fault.  It was too easy to pitch the hammock with the asymmetric tarp
flipped so it wouldn't cover the hammock correctly.  Ended up with water
coming into the hammock at my feet a few times.  Because I slept cockeyed in
the Hennesy and on account of my height my feet would stick out from under
the tarp.

You're normal pack cover (which you're going to carry anyways) works to
protect your pack under the hammock.  It's not extra weight.  I did use
cheap garbage bags inside my pack to keep stuff dry.  Getting my pack wet
wasn't really a problem.

Too Tall Paul
(GA-Catawba, Duncannon-HF 2001)