[at-l] Pisgah National Forest ; Art Lobe and Mtns to Sea.

In a message dated 6/26/2005 8:37:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tfort@jam.rr.com writes:

> Are those safe places to park?   According to my maps, that would add an
> additional 10.5 mile day?  An easy day hike. :-)  Can you camp near the Boy
> Scout area?   That might be a bit odd.

I've parked overnight at all three spots and didn't have any or know of no
problems.

Heading north, the first four miles are rated as moderate, the next three
strenuous and final four from Deep Gap, all dowhill.  Once you drop off the ridge
near Cold Mountain I don't think there's any good place to camp (ruling out
the BS camp) but I wasn't looking either.  It's a pretty short drive from the
Boy Scout camp back to the split near Black Balsam Knob where there's parking
and camping nearby.  Lots of it is open balds, with great views.   It's also
"wildereness" so it's not marked but fairly easy to follow.  Depending on which
way you do the loop, which is well blazed, from Davidson River to the Parkway
will be strenous, the other half and the connector (MST) easy to moderate.
You should be able to do it all in a week.

Sly