[at-l] RE"Policing the Trail

--- Jim Bullard <jbullar1@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> At 06:13 PM 5/23/2005 -0400, Bob C wrote:
> >"How many miles of the Appalachian Trail are currently restricted to hand
> >tool
> >only maintainence and construction?" asks TJ.
> >

> >A good question, but I don't really know. But it isn't very many. If I
> >recall rightly, there is a designated wilderness just north of Neels Gap.
> >I'm guessing there must be some short sections in lengthy Virginia. Maine
> >has no federal wilderness. Maine uses eco-preserves as a code word for
> >wilderness, but I doubt if any have been designated along state-owned
> >sections of AT, at least below timberline. Above timberline, chainsaws are
> >of only marginal value, anyway.
> >
> >The Nature Conservancy says it will manage it's fee lands along the AT as
> >wilderness, but the corridor won't be impacted. The closing of roads,
> >however, would make access by maintainers more difficult.
> >
> >Weary
>
> Inquiring minds want to know: Are maintainers complaining about not being
> able to use chain saws or only those who feel sorry for the maintainers?
>
> Saunterer the non-complaining maintainer

How many miles?  Truly not many. I was in New York, at least, when I first
heard of such a thing.
Are maintainers complaining?  Likely not--if they had a serious complaint
they'd just quit.

These are STILL not good reasons for a ban on the use of certain tools, only
reasons to be vewy, vewy quiet so as not to upset anyone.

JestBill  Ga--->Me '03