[at-l] RE"Policing the Trail

I've cut through 10-12" trees with a machete or bowsaw when necessary but
the thought of carrying a chain saw and the requisite accoutrements on a
15-16 mile hike in/out from the shelter I maintained at that time never
crossed my mind. An axe, bowsaw or machete was lighter. Mind you I have
carried bundles of shingles and other rather heavy things in when needed
but when a lighter option was available I always chose to spend more time
working, over a heavier load hiking. At 60 I now maintain a lean-to only 4
miles in and make a reconnaissance trip before carrying anything heavier
than a hammer. No point going in with a heavy load only to find it wasn't
needed and I can refer the heavy stuff to the paid trail crew or rangers
anyway.

I've done the wood stove thing too but yesterday was the end of that. We
had another chimney fire. Not a serious (as in call 911) one but the roar,
the smoke and the uncertainty finally ended my wife's love for her wood
stove. I was ready to get rid of it years ago after the time we had to call
the fire dept. I'm getting too old for that crap. I don't need the
adrenaline rush. I'll keep my chain saw for cleaning up fallen limbs etc.
and maybe a bonfire in the fire ring in my side yard.