[at-l] RE"Policing the Trail

I suspect the latter, though RnR has maintainer credentials and is ambiguous. I certainly recognize the superiority of chainsaws. But I also recognize the "slippery slope" phenomenon. FWIW. MATC is negotiating with both AMC and the Nature Conservancy to preserve as much access as possible to Maine maintaining sections. I'm not a part of the talks. And I have sympathy for both sides of the question. I enjoy maintaining a trail. I don't always enjoy an extra five mile walk to get to my section when I know a gated road exists that would lead me to within a few thousand yards, or less. of where I need to be.

As for chain saws. Since I heated my house for many hears with wood or mostly wood, I've owned and used one for decades. But as I increasingly learned the characteristics of "my" maintaining section, I often left it home. A bow saw tended to do 95% of what I needed to do -- and at much less hassle. As the years progressed, I, or a helper, tended to carry a chain saw on one trip per year. Clippers and a good bow saw made do for the rest.

Weary