[at-l] Cell Phones, yet again

Greg Brown wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Felix wrote:
>
>> Jason wrote:
>>
>>> what about the guy that is taking a month to do some hiking and spends
>>> 5 mins a night to tell his wife and daughter that his is doing ok ? is
>>> this such a bad thing ?
>>>
>> It might be to the guy who is out in the woods so he doesn't have to
>> listen to people talking on the phone.
>
> I really didn't know cell phones were such a hot button issue.  I bet
> that guy who had to saw his arm off a couple years ago would have
> liked to have packed a satellite phone for his solo hike.

He also would have liked for that boulder to not fall on his arm.  To me
the whole thing is to try to have as little negative impact on people as
possible. That goes for trail or otherwise. I carry a cell fone once in
a while. I'd never use it in the presence of someone I don't know....or,
someone I know for sure doesn't want to see me use it.

>   If I wanted to smell cigarettes I could have gone to a bar. Is two
> people talking on the trail looked down on?  I can't tell you how many
> times I've had to listen to two people misquote philosophers and
> poetry while hiking.

I think I don't like it when they quote it accurately, either!!  :-)))