[at-l] Cell Phones, yet again

On Apr 15, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Felix wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>
>> what about the guy that is taking a month to do some hiking and spends
>> 5 mins a night to tell his wife and daughter that his is doing ok ? is
>> this such a bad thing ?
>>

> It might be to the guy who is out in the woods so he doesn't have to
> listen to people talking on the phone.

I still don't understand.  I suppose if I were in my 20s I could have
dropped off the face of the Earth for six months, but now that I'm a
bit older it's just not possible.  I don't plan on having my cell phone
on every minute of the day, but I might put my earpiece on when I can
get a signal to check voicemail.  I might even make a call if I have
or, or just wanted to call home.  I think my wife would like to hear
from me once in a while, or get my opinion on business related issues.
Actually I'm a bit envious of people that could walk the whole AT and
not have to worry about jobs, spouses, mortgages, businesses, aging
parents, etc, etc, etc.

I really didn't know cell phones were such a hot button issue.  I bet
that guy who had to saw his arm off a couple years ago would have liked
to have packed a satellite phone for his solo hike.

Last weekend I never saw or heard the "other hiker" that was on the
trail with me but I knew he was there as I seemed to be following his
cigarette smoke.  That rated exceptionally high on my annoyance scale.
If I wanted to smell cigarettes I could have gone to a bar.

Is two people talking on the trail looked down on?  I can't tell you
how many times I've had to listen to two people misquote philosophers
and poetry while hiking.

What about people smoking pot on the trail?  How does that rate on
everyone's annoyance scale?

Greg