[at-l] Oh My! More adventures [OT?]

For anyone interested about the race for the South Pole, the book The
Last Place on Earth by Roland Hunford does an excellent job telling the
story of the final race for the South Pole between Amundsen and Scott.
The differences in methodologies between the two are extreme.  There
are also a few stories related to this adventure that are of interest
such as Apsley Cherry-Garrard's trek to collect a penguin egg in the
dead of the antarctic winter - he spent over 30 days (!!) in the dark
trekking to collect the egg because it was thought that the penguin was
a primitive bird and the egg could lead to new scientific discoveries
once it was brought back to England.  At one point in the story he
talks about how, after a night in the tent, everything would thaw so,
in the morning, when it was time to set out again, it was easier to
walk outside, stand stooped over until your clothes froze.  By letting
your clothes freeze in this manner it was easier to get into position
to haul your sled over the ice.  Insane!  Cherry-Garrand's personal
account of the trip can be found in the book The Worst Journey in the
World which, I think, is now in public domain and available for free.

At one point I wanted to winter over at the South Pole so I did quite a
bit of reading about Scott, Amundsen, and Shackleton.  I got talked out
of a winter over by a few people who had done the same.  Anyway, if
anyone is looking for book suggestion about early exploration to the
South Pole let me know and I'll send some book titles your way.  I
think I'll miniaturize a copy of Shackleton's adventure for my
thru-hike to read as inspiration when things "get too hard". ;)

Greg