[at-l] SO Ruck Weekend Trip report

Well, boo hoo that it is over. This was some of the most fun I have ever had a just a terrific terrific weekend. Fantastic.

Friday night, I met up with two Rucksters in Clayton and we went to eat in Frnaklin and then traveled on to the Ruck. When we got there, there was food. Of course, no one ate the rest of the weekend....haha (that's a huge huge lie). We watched a fantastic movie that Miss Janet had brought. By that time, time for bed. All four hours of sleep that I got.

Got up Saturday and helped Orange Bug fix breakfast, and then Miss Janet fix lunch.  Then the big dinner, and we watched some more movies. After that was when the singing began in Cabin C. That went on...until we realized that we almost missed the Bonfire. Down to the bonfire. I love a good fire almost as much as snow. Then we threw rocks in the river for a while. Then time for bed again...again four hours of it.

Sunday morning we enjoyed Miss Janet's wonderful breakfast. Unbelievable. Then I had to leave to get to Atlanta around noon.

Things I need to include about the ruck iteself. The facility could not have been any more perfect. It was gorgeous in it's winter starkness. We had a great kitchen...when we got the smoke out. The cabins were terrific and large enough but not too big. There was plenty of parking. The people in the Outfitter store were so nice and very good to us. There was no cop presence...all in attendance were well behaved.

Things I need to include about the people. I had a terrific roomate for the weekend. Many thanks to that person. The camaraderie in Cabin C was incredible. The singing was so heart warming and the old friendships and new friendships were palpable. The presentations were valuable to old and new. The hike that Pittsburgh offered (I didn't go because I was so tired from lack of sleep) was terrific. There were experienced hikers and not so experienced hikers and they all took care of each other. Terrific bonfire Clyde. The food was great.

And the most important thing of all...there were many friendships made and renewed over the weekend. And many interests in the trail continued, renewed and reinfused with energy and enthusiasm. After about two years away from it due to school and working weekends, I can't wait to love an old friend again...AND SOON!!

This event was a huge success...I don't know of anyone that would disagree.

To individual people...Pittsburgh and Barb (Go Steelers!!!)...thanks to you for all your planning for a great success. We could not have had such great success without you.

To Swallowtail, Kinnickinic, Anklebear, Hummingbird, Waterfall, Linda Beja, Paula Looper, Meagan, Tattoo Granny and any other woman that I met that I forgot  (but not Shelly because that is in a minute) it was so terrific to commune with women of the trail, and to reaffirm that our love for it is deep and abiding. Thanks for all the help in the kitchen Saturday night too.

To all the men, and there were just too many to mention, thank you for the company and the friendship and all the potato help. Thank you for welcoming all the camaraderie from the women. And thank you for helping me do a labor of love on Saturday night. A bunch of the men helped me cook. They were terrific.

And to Sly, the next time I get wet it will be under the fantastic Red and Black. Thank you so much.

And to Shelly...mostly to Shelly...just a small sentence, "It lasts a lifetime." What am I talking about? Friendship...it lasts a lifetime...and it will between us.

Next year? Fifteen meatloafs, I'd like to think we have a new tradition. Bug Breakfast and Dawg dinner. And I am going hiking Saturday morning no matter what.

Grateful Dawg