[at-l] Bear Repellent

> Please cite me the statistics on the number of people who get mauled by
> black bears.  When you look them up you will be surprised to see how few
> there are.  You have a greater chance of winning the lottery than being a
> killed by a black bear, and you are 374 times more likely to be killed by
> lightning.

The general population, yes.  That doesn't mean that you should stand on a
ridge in a lightning storm and say, "What are the chances of getting struck
by lightning?"

I routinely handle hives of honey bees without anything except a pair of
shorts and a head net.  That isn't an activity I would recommend to people
who are not familiar with the ways of honey bees.  For me to state that
honey bees are not aggressive and almost never sting is all well and good
for ME, but that ignores folks who are swarmed and killed by honey bees.

Shane