[at-l] Bear Repellent

Black bears are not aggressive toward humans and they should not be thought
of as a threat to anything other than the food in your pack.  In the
recorded history of the state of New Jersey, there has not been one instance
of an unprovoked bear attacking a human and causing serious injury.  I've
seen bears along the Greenwood Lake, NY portion of the AT and they seemed
quite uninterested in me.

Don't believe the myth about never going between a mother bear and her
cubs - I've been in that position and I'm obviously here to type this
message.  I know many people who live in New Jersey's bear country who have
almost daily interaction with bears of some sort.

The best way to chase them away is to wave your arms above your head and
make lots of loud noise.  Bears are far more afraid of you than you are of
them.

For some great information check out the following pages -

http://www.bear.org/Black/BB_Home.html

http://www.savenjbears.com/commentary.html#AFRAID%20OF%20BEARS%20HERES%20WHY
!

Peace,