[at-l] RE: AT Plates in Other States

Someone asked re possibly doing special license plates in the other AT
states.  Based on what I know, here are a couple of thoughts and
observations:

1)  Each state has slightly different laws when it comes to special
license tags, but in general it is at least a possibility in all of the
other AT States.

2)  The NC special AT tag will be the first in any of the AT States! :)

3)  Doing one for TN would not make much sense as the NC tag covers the
parts of the AT that run along the border with TN, and I think TN is in
the middle of some nasty litigation re the scope of their special
license plate program.

4)  Virginia would be a real obvious next choice, due to the population
base and the number of AT miles running through it.  I have an attorney
friend in VA who is planning to try a thruhike someday, and I plan to
hit him up to do a bit of exploration re what VA law requires, whether
he thinks there is good potential to get a bill thru the VA legislature,
etc.

5)  It is a LOT harder than you think - key challenges include: (a)
trying to characterize the project as broader than just AT hikers -
something I would like to have done in hindsight re the NC tag project
is find a way to broaden the appeal a bit, so that more people would be
interested.  Of course, we had some stiff competition here in NC as we
have two other mountain-related special license tag projects going
strong at the same time - one tied to the Smokies, and one to the Blue
Ridge Parkway.  Perhaps there could be a VA special tag that tied to
Skyline Drive and the AT?  Making the tag funding go for a broader range
of protection, including such things as viewshed easement acquisitions,
is also a good thing . . .

6)  Lastly, if anyone is interested in trying to work this in another AT
State, I would be more than happy to share experiences, ideas, moral
support - feel free to call or e-mail me at my law office:
252-633-1101; icw@wardanddavis.com

Happy Hiking, and AT supporting!

Thru-Thinker
[Clark Wright]