[at-l] Letterboxing

>"... Should we be sweating the small stuff?"

Probably not. I was just making a back handed slap at a silly motto. One can not
logically support the concept of "Leave No Trace" while leaving caches of stuff
in the wilds.

I believe in minimizing my impact on wild places, while still making them
available and attractive for non motorized recreational users -- even letter
boxers.

However, I also believe that words have meaning and impacts and when the obvious
meaning of the words is routinely violated, the message of the words tends to be
ignored.

That's why I think the concept of "Leave No Trace" is ignored by most back
country users and thus has only marginal impact.

Yes. The back country is better cared for now than it was three decades ago. But
in my opinion, the reason has little to do with the Leave No Trace jargon.
Rather it is a product of the increased environmental awareness through out
society.

However, I recognize that mine is is a minority view, that despite its basic
logic, is unlikely to be adopted anytime soon. A whole cadre of people make
their livings promoting "Leave No Trace." They are unlikely to voluntarily find
useful employment.

I recognize, also, that I may be wrong. Perhaps George Orwell's concept of
"double think" -- the holding of several contradictory beliefs at the same time
-- is alive and growing.

Weary