[at-l] Native American and the AT was OT Thread about YTerrorism

Just picking up on the Native American thread, I am wondering what if any
reminders of thier history remain along the AT.

At the ATC Conference there was a presentation given by some archealogists
who had done some extrordinary work along the corridor in CT given thier
very small budget.  For those of us who think of the Trail as far more than
just a place to hike, it was very thought provoking to hear thier reports.

While one can't help but absorb a bit of history while hiking the Trail-- be
it about Benedict Arnold's trek to Montreal or the Civil War or Audie
Murphy, I can't really think of any spot on the AT that sparked any thought
(in me) regarding Native Americans when I hiked.  I think I probably would
have had a richer hike if I did.  I didn't even know about the remarkable
Cherokee Nation and how they were subjected to the Trail of Tears at the
behest of a President, as I approached NW GA.

Rick B

http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es