[at-l] Start dates, snow, and trail runners

I would not actually expect you to suffer from frostbite
unles the temperatures got really low.  Heck, I have hiked
barefooted in the snow with just a pair of hiking shorts on
(the air temperature was in the 50's).  On the other hand I
would be very concerned about wet feet.  This is a problem
with any type of foot gear that will allow water around ones
feet.  One develops that wonderful condition called trench
foot.  There are a number of variations, but the cold weather
variation is really nasty.  Go with the trail runners,
carefully dry your feet at the end of the day (foot powder is
very useful) change socks often (I carry two pair of socks
for a day hike)and sleep in dry socks.  One should be kind to
ones feet if one is planning to walk 2100 miles.

Grey Owl

>If you're wearing trail runners, you'd lose some toes to
frostbite if you
>hiked in the snow in those, wouldn't you?   Do you slip some
kind of
>modified trail Wellie over your shoes?  Or wear heavier
hiking boots until