[at-l] Sleeping bag for a thruhike for... $40?

Kelly has found a sleeping bag claiming to be good to
20F, at 2 pounds, synthetic and only $40. She has
noticed that the big name, big reputation bags can be
10 times as much. Why should she consider the
expensive bags?

There are several reasons. However, I'd suggest
spending the $40 and purchase the cheap bag and try it
out over the next 4 months to learn what is good and
bad about it. Here are my expectations:

1) Truth in advertising. 20F isn't very cold but you
can get into trouble. Expensive manufacturers like
Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering and others
are very conservative in their temperature ratings.

2) Construction. Baffles and covers over the zippers
are important to keep insulation where you need it and
prevent cold whipping into you. The cover material
will make the difference in a dry or a wet bag. Wet
bags are not good, regardless of the insulation. The
cover will also determine how fragile the bag will be.

3) Longevity. All synthetic bags are good for a
limited lifespan. They don't compress as tightly as
down, and each compression breaks fibers and
deteriorates the insulation. A down bag is something
that will last a lifetime or two.

4) Wetness. You will get your bag wet. A sweaty hiker
is a source of vapor and moisture for the bag. Quality
bags know this and make liners and covers that help to
keep the insulation dry. The cover material can be
quite water resistant yet let vapor thru. A WM bag
demonstration includes pouring water on the cover,
watching it simply sit there. This is important
knowing that dogs, clumsy cooks and wet hikers will
get your bag wet. Once I am warm in my bag, I bring in
wet hiking clothes and use myself and the bag as a
dryer.

5) First aid. A sleeping bag is a part of your first
aid gear. You will spend more time in it than any
other part of your gear. On a blizzard, windy zero F
day in Mid March, you will either be shivering in your
bag, totally uncomfortable and tempted to posthole 10
miles, or you will be comfy and enjoying the sights
and sounds of the weather. The best cure for
hypothermia is to stay warm and conserve calories.

6) Service. Warranties are phenomenal with the
expensive bags. You can only hope to find a similar
bag if the $40 goes south.

If the goal is conserve money and have cheap gear (not
a bad goal), consider learning how to make your own
gear. You could produce your own sleeping bag and have
it filled with down at one of the expensive companies.

But I tend to think of sleeping bags along the lines
of the Car Guys, Click and Clack - "He, who goes
cheapest, goes broke first." Inexpensive gear that
must be replaced is very expensive. We all have gear
closets filled with our errors. We all have to make
compromises on gear selection and budgets. Only
Backpacker magazine considers hiking a fashion
statement. However, many of us know the benefit of
Pepsi can stoves, made for just a few pennies.

By all means, consider the inexpensive bags as an
investment in learning what works for you, and how to
judge a key bit of gear. Try it out in the HH, working
on the type of dashboard cover or mat to keep you warm
underneath. By December, you should be ready for a
good gear report and know if you have a big ticket
item under your Christmas tree.

OrangeBug