[at-l] RE: Group Hiking Query

Part of the problem with the scouts is that they are required
to have 2 deep leadership so for every outing there must be
at least two adults.  What happens when you have twenty boys
and four adults?  The reason that there must be two deep
leader ship if for two reasons.  One is that it (mistakenly)
assume child molestation does not occur and secondly there
are liability issues.  The real world raises its ugly head.
So as scouts we would do groups of ten sometimes large.  LNT
does not have much to do with group size.  A group of twenty
scouts can have a lot less impact than 4 guys who decide to
party in a shelter.

I think that most boyscout groups are probably more aware of
their impact on the enviroment than most through hikers.  And
who is going to deny a scout an outdoor experience?  I used
to be an high adventure assistant scout leader and I cannot
even begin to tell you how much we agonized over our
backpacking trips.

Grey Owl