Re[4]: [at-l] Henessy Hammock advice

Everything we do in the outdoors probably has some impact. I personally think a
hammock used properly with the straps is probably second only to using the
shelters as a way to minimize our impact on the natural environment. I was only
cautioning against using rope as a substitute for the straps, a position that
the Leave No Trace organization agrees with:

"WITH ITS TREE HUGGER STRAPS TO PROTECT THE BARK OF TREES, (emphasis added) its
'no footprint' profile, and new, low-key colors, the HH, which requires no
ground-levelling, trenching or staking, is a natural for anyone who wants to
minimize their impact on the environment."

My personal compromise to to use a tent in the winter when snow and frozen earth
offers protection, to sleep in the shelters when space is available, and to use
a bivouac tent when shelter space is not available.

 Weary