[at-l] Tuna & Chicken Foil Pack

--
In a message dated 12/30/2002 2:29:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jplynch@crosslink.net writes:

> Any good suggestions for herbs/spices to go with the chicken and tuna?

       ***   I'm one of those barbaric omnivores for whom meal repetitiveness
isn't a problem. I ate oatmeal mostly every morning and never got sick of it.
Bulk roasted peanuts are another regular I never tired of. The calorie demand
of long distance hiking made me glad to just be packing energy for muscle
power in the morning.

     To answer your question, I spent the premium on Knorr's soup and sauce
spice packets and Lipton's vegetable soup packs for flavoring noodles. For
me, a vegetable soup spice pack, some on-sale egg noodles (79 cents a pound),
a few pepperoni slices, chicken, and a squeeze parkay'ed bagel was a gourmet
meal that I never got sick of. If you rotate a rice or dried potato meal in
between this noodle stew you'll find yourself eating light and cheap on the
Trail. Stovetop stuffing is another good meal padder that goes with
anything...

             You can cut the cost of this way down by using individual spices
instead of the brand name soup packets. Your voracious appetite won't notice
any difference. On my hike I sometimes made an instant pie for dessert and
ate the whole thing. Powdered milk and squeeze parkay are key foodstuffs
towards a more expanded meal plan out on the AT...

       Grab whatever bulk candy packages that are on-sale in the store.
Starburst is vitamin C fortified as are Skittles...