[at-l] (Guest Post) Help!

There are a lot of stories about the Black Flies but that is situational on
the climate and region your father would be hiking.  Gnats and mosquitoes
can be just as troubling. The best remedy for this problem is a head net
that goes past the shoulders.  It looks funny when used with a hat but it
really helps maintain the comfort level.

As for the "short" long distance hike part of your help quest - I would
think the Virginia section of the trail would be nice for him.  Shenandoah
National Park is the first thing I thought of.  He could start a ways
before it or finish a ways past it.

Bushwacker