[at-l] National Parks and Snowmobiles

"Clifford R. Haynes" wrote:

>  Lets get real here. Hikers and backpackers aren't exactly environmentally
> friendly when you come right down to it. For example they Poop in the woods,
> wipe there but with paper and leave it in the woods to pollute the
> environment, they make trails that certainly aren't part of the wild
> environment. So hikers and backpackers should definitely be banned from
> National Parks.
> Roads alter wildlife migration patterns, so roads, cars, trucks, and busses
> also need to be banned from National parks (no need to discuss the added
> pollution, the roads are reason enough to ban them. Also lodges and visitor
> centers should also be banned, because they aren't part of the natural
> environment, pollute, attract more people to the fragile environment, and
> further stress already stressed wildlife.

	Is that then our choice? If we cannot build roads over every peak
without impact, we should not build any, no matter how carefully
designed? If we allow some use, whose effects can be managed without
serious harm to the resources the parks are created to protect, we must
allow all without care or control? Is there no possibility of wise
management?

> There are people that believe in order to preserve wildlife and places for
> the future, it is necessary to keep people out entirely. Perhaps the best
> thing is to learn to share the outdoors.

	Until there is nothing worth sharing anymore? Sharing is not the same
as using up.

	Ron
--

must preside at our assemblies.