[at-l] Cost Comparison - Digital VS Slides

Yah I was scratching my head over that comparison, like you I have little
interest in doing slide shows and suspect only folks who do it
semi-professionally have any interest in doing it. If I had to do a short
slide show I could get 30 or 40 files converted to slides at a buck apiece
( according some other poster). That would be an exceeding rare event for
me. Otherwise I can just haul my notebook along and do a slide show on the
notebook monitor screen for a small group.

My camera cost $300 bucks, three 128 MB memory cards go for $135 total, I
have a notebook and photo printer and since my camera uses 4 AA batteries I
can buy 3 sets of batteries and a recharger for $50 or so ( a WAG). That
puts me well under $500.

Furthermore when you have 3000 or 5000 slides you have to store them in
climate controlled conditions, not so easy to do with that many. And if you
have prints then you will end up with a big stack of photo albums, expensiv=
albums. You can probably figure at least another $0.25 just for album costs
per print. I just have to keep a couple cd-roms.

I was a SLR film user for many years and just converted over to digital. Th=
main reason I switched was that I was buying my first notebook computer and
also getting a photo-capable printer. So moving to digital made sense for
me. I think people should use whatever they are the most comfortable with.
Film is much higher resolution and folks are more used to it.  I just do no=
think this bogus price comparison makes any sense. Digital is cheaper, it
encourages you take many more shots and has a lot of other advantages.
Returning from a long trip with 20 rolls of film was always a trauma to the
wallet for me, hundreds of dollars in development costs was always
unpleasant. A finding a envelope of stuck together prints is likewise a
PITA.

Bryan