[at-l] RE: Cost Comparison - Digital VS Slides

Papa Bear wrote:
>Total nonsense.  I already have a computer, I don't need a projector or a
>lap top. Your cost of memory cards is 3 times what I paid.

Film can be had more cheaply too. I deliberately used one source to draw a
fair comparison.

>Sorry, yours is not a serious comparison.  It's as if I suggested you buy
>and set up a photo processing lab in your home.

Thanks, but I already have a darkroom.  Have had it for over 35 years.

>I figure my cost for digital camera, memory cards and rechargeabloe
>batteries $400 total for 3 years (then throw it away and buy a better one).
>I figure $400 for 4000 pictures that $.10 per shot.

I considered the rechargeable battery idea but how practical is that on a
thru?  I doubted it.  Experienced thrus can argue that point.

>Film (using your own numbers) $1369 for 2400, $260 for the other 1800 =
>$1629. = $.40 per shot - 4 times as much.
>
>I use Digital and I have never given a slide show in my life and all my
>friends are happy to get my shots via email.  Noone in my house hads looked
>at a print or a slide for 5 years (except shots of my grandson whivh came in
>the mail - we looked at them a few times).  Am I the exception, I doubt it
>very much having talked to dozens of hikers.

You are comparing apples with oranges.  I clearly said someone buying
everything from scratch, using slide film and intending to do slide
presentations.  I also said that changing the scenario (already have this
of that, getting discounts for volume purchase, etc. would change the
numbers.  You changed the scenario significantly.  It should be no surprise
that the numbers changed too.

sAunTerer