From: Phil Heffington [mailto:Phil.Heffington@oc.edu]
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 4:51 PM
To: AT- L Mailing List
Subject: [at-l] dehydrating chicken

Do any of you guys dehydrate chicken for the trail.  I've tried it a couple
of times with mixed results.  I cook the chicken before dehydrating it, and
the resulting "jerky" doesn't seem to work as well on the trail as the beef
jerky I make from dehydrated meat which has not been pre-cooked.

Is it really necessary to pre-cook chicken before dehydrating it.  I know,
theoretically at least, that chicken could harbor all sorts of wondrous life
forms like salmonella, etc., but I'm asking what you do in real practice.