[at-l] dehydrating chicken

Do any of you guys dehydrate chicken for the trail.  I've tried it a couple=
 of times with mixed results.  I cook the chicken before dehydrating it, an=
d the resulting "jerky" doesn't seem to work as well on the trail as the be=
ef jerky I make from dehydrated meat which has not been pre-cooked.

Is it really necessary to pre-cook chicken before dehydrating it.  I know, =
theoretically at least, that chicken could harbor all sorts of wondrous lif=
e forms like salmonella, etc., but I'm asking what you do in real practice.