From: "Mary M. Morgan" <mmmorganlady@yahoo.com>
To: <janl2@mindspring.com>; <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 2:09 PM
Subject: [at-l] AT Camera - Staring from Scratch

--

Shane is on the right track with his advice.  I have a business where I use
only digital and have done much research on digital cameras pro and
consumer. I will be thru-hiking in 2004 and  as fast as technology is
changing, I am sure that there will be an incredible weightless 10megapixel
camera that I will take then.  But, If I were to buy a camera for a
thru-hike today it would be the Olympus D40 Zoom.  It weighs 6.7 oz without
the batteries and media card, which is incredible.  It takes 4.0 megapixel
photos, which is also great for a camera of this size.  It also has a zoom,
so you can take a photo of that bear in the woods . However, for good
photos, the lens is the most important thing, and Olympus always seems to
have a good one for their digital products...  I am not biased, as I have
Canon 35mm and Digital as well as Kodak digital.  But my main use camera is
an Olympus E-20 N, which is a digital SLR. (weighs 5 lbs with the battery
pack needed to use 1GB microdrive!)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_product.asp?more_info_lobby=
=3D1&
p=3D16&bc=3D1&product=3D712

My husband (support person) and I have talked about how we are going to
manage the memory card and battery exchange.  I take alot of photos.  So we
think that every other maildrop, I will send back the rechargeable batterie=
and the memory card and there will be same waiting for me.  He will do the
recharging of batteries and downloading of photos.  So I figure on having 2
sets of batteries, one in the camera and one spare and 2 memory cards, all
in a padded pack.  He will have same at his end.

It is also good for these ranges of temperatures and humidity:

Operation: 32=B0F -104=B0F (0=B0C - 40=B0C) 30-90% Humidity
Storage: -4=B0 F - 140=B0F (-20=B0C - 60=B0C) 10-90% Humidity

If it is raining or dense fog, you may want to leave it in your pack, oh an=
don't go swimming with it!  :o)

The other thing is, if you want to have your batteries last longer, restrai=
the urge to view all of the pictures that you have taken thus far on the LC=
screen, as this quickly drains the batteries. Also, this camera uses smart
media, which is extremely light weight.

I think that rechargeable is best for the environment.  Also, that Digital
photos are the best thing for the environment--no nasty chemicals are used
in developing the film, and you can delete the ones that don't turn out.

Hope this info helps. If you have any other questions, you may email me
direct, if you wish.

:o) Mary