[at-l] History along the AT route

At 01:11 PM 10/21/2002 -0700, jhoward@everdream.com wrote:
>Does anyone have any books they'd recommend reading
>about the history of the people or the natural history
>along the AT route? I don't mean the history of the
>trail itself, I know where to get that type of
>information. I'm talking about the history prior to the
>trail's existence (i.e. Native American, Civil War,
>geographical, etc.) I think it would be interesting to
>learn about the background of the areas that I am
>walking through as I'm walking through them.
>
>I found an AT Guidebook written by Jim Chase in 1989 at
>a used book store that's good but really just scratched
>the surface of what I'd like to learn.

I'm currently reading "The Appalachian Trail: A Visitor's Companion" by
Leonard (Habitual Hiker) Adkins.  It has a lot about the natural history
(geologic formation, plant life, animals) and some trail history as
well.  He's a pretty good writer and it is obviously well researched.  I
have write him about the first line of chapter 1 and ask about his sources.

sAunTerer