[at-l] History along the AT route

Does anyone have any books they'd recommend reading
about the history of the people or the natural history
along the AT route? I don't mean the history of the
trail itself, I know where to get that type of
information. I'm talking about the history prior to the
trail's existence (i.e. Native American, Civil War,
geographical, etc.) I think it would be interesting to
learn about the background of the areas that I am
walking through as I'm walking through them.

I found an AT Guidebook written by Jim Chase in 1989 at
a used book store that's good but really just scratched
the surface of what I'd like to learn.