Re[2]: [at-l] alcohol stove

 -----Original Message-----

Yes, but I figured it would be too heavy. The around the cup/inside the pot
was a compromise. Actually, after another night of testing I am down to a
smaller stand that fits inside the cup and is only 2-1/2 inches tall,
putting it 1 inch above the burner as recommended on the web site.

Every test was consistent, the closer the pot gets to the stove, the longer
it takes to boil water and the longer the stove burns. Nevertheless, burnout
always occurred within 30 to 60  seconds of boil. If all you want to do is
boil water quickly, make a new stand that is about three to three and a
quarter inches tall. You will boil water just as quick as a Whisperlite.

As for fuel consumption. it may well be that the holes in the burner are
indeed too large. Next time...

Also need to perfect the simmer ring. The one on the website works, but I am
working on several different ideas.

BTW, pot size does not seem to be all that critical. Tried several different
pots. Larger pots take maybe 30 seconds longer to boil, but I haven't run
enough tests at each size to positively quantify a difference. Having a lid
on the pot also made little if any difference.

Lee I Joe

"Do I recommend thru-hiking? How can I put it? If you really like to hike,
you have to try it. Put as much time and thought as possible into planning,
carefully consider all the advice you get, ignore most of it, and do it your
way."

Backcountry Tales from the Trail, by Richard Graybill, Backpacker Magazine,
December 2001, p112