Re3: [at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

kahley wrote:
>Maybe we need to apply the "it's not the destination, it's the journey"
>line to_each_day, not just the entire hike?

Isn't that the purpose of the exercise?

I don't remember who wrote it, but one of my personal life principles is
this:
>What I am is God's gift to me, What I become is my gift to God.

No one can "become" anything by being bored.  Bored =3D static.  And "stati=
c"
precludes "becoming".  Every day, every moment is a new opportunity to
learn, to grow, to "become" something more than I am now.

In 63 years, the only time I can remember being "bored" (whether hiking or
not) was on the southern California desert section of the PCT - and that wa=
purely a personal attitude problem that had nothing to do with  the hike.
We fixed that problem.  The world is too interesting, too complex, too BIG
to waste my life being "bored".  YMMV

Walk softly,
Jim