[at-l] Boredom (was Bryson's bookl)

--
In a message dated 9/13/2002 10:15:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rafe@oasissemi.com writes:

> For those like Ginny who have actually completed one
> or more long hikes, I'm full of awe and envy.  For those
> others who speak of the endless fascination of the woods --
> without having actually completed a very long hike --
> well, you'll forgive me, I hope, for being a bit skeptical.

       I gotta tell you, Rafe.....I didn't find your post cynical at all.
Pretty much I just thought you were being honest!  And I was impressed by
your candor cause it seems like this topic has the potential to become a
competition of sorts.  At times, I feel like if a hiker voices boredom, then
he or she must be less of a hiker because they can't find true fulfillment in
nature alone.  Not being an avid MTV watcher, I do have an attention span
that exceeds three minutes *G*....., but hour upon hour of the same thing can
get mind numbingly boring!!!  Even if it is something as wonderful as the
outdoors!!
       Just my thoughts on a dreary Friday the 13th!  :)  Anna