[at-l] dropping pack to do side trips in Maine

papa bear- i feel like i am responding to all your questions ;). i just
hiked this part of the trail, so i feel like i can help you out a little
bit. i am an avid sidetrail taker and left my pack for all the trips. my
suggestion is this: leave your pack off the trail a little ways behind a
tree or something. i didn't have any problem with humans or animals.
with other hikers i figure, who wants to carry any more weight? when i
was hiking, there was enough foot traffic to keep the animals away from
my bag as well. i was usually away from my stuff for anywhere from 20
minutes to 3 hours.

-treelady