[at-l] dropping pack to do side trips in Maine

--
At 12:56 PM 9/2/2002 -0400, Weary wrote:

>"...Any danger from humans (theft) to my pack? " asks Papa Bear.
>
>Nothing  is  certain in this world. But I've found that packs are safe
>when left
>at  isolated  places  on  the  trail.  The  side trails to Abraham and
>Sugarloaf
>qualify as isolated. I'd carry my money with me, but not worry about the
>rest of
>my stuff.

I think I'd agree with most of this (and the part I snipped,
as well.)

On my-bike-hike trips I generally have to leave my pack
hidden in the woods (but not "too" hidden) while I drive
to the far end, park, and then bike back to my pack --
often a matter of several hours, or the better part of a day.

I've wondered about the risks involved here -- both with
theft and with critters & food -- but have been lucky so far,
knock wood.

Up on the ridge, theft of the pack would be even less
likely, although I'd not leave small valuables in the pack
(eg., wallet, camera) while I'm away for more than a few
minutes.

As to the critters, Weary's explanation is as good as any
that I've heard to explain my "luck" in this regard.

rafe b.
aka terrapin
--

---