[at-l] Trip Report

At 09:11 PM 7/11/2002 -0400, Thru-Thinker wrote:

>I found that by the time we (me and my trail friends, most of whom were
>younger; I'm 45) hit the Whites, we were in good enough shape to pretty
>much maintain our 16-24 mile per day pace . . . the bad thing was
>slowing down during the clear days to enjoy the awesome scenery, and
>then having to hike like hell to make it to some hut, or past some full
>hut, etc.  We actually found an unfortunate incentive to sometimes do
>20+ mile days in order to find a place to stay for the night . . .

I envy you those long legs...

I've often heard the "five million steps" figure, and I swear,
by the time I finish it, it'll be double that.

I've done a few 20+ days, but not in the heart of the White
Mountains...  Smokies, Virginia, Maine.  But not between
Glencliff and Gorham; not on the AT, anyway.

After all, one has to earn the title of Terrapin.

Maybe if I'd used Lekis? <g>

rafe b.
aka terrapin

---