[at-l] Trip Report

At 12:20 PM 7/9/2002 -0400, suz wrote:

>I checked out the trail description in the AMC White Mountain Guide when I
>got home last night - it says the distance from Castle Ridge Trail to Caps
>Ridge on the Link is 1.6 miles.  I think I'm glad to know that it didn't
>take me that long to walk one mile, but that was still probably the slowest
>going 1.6 miles I've ever managed.  Every footstep had to be thought out and
>paid attention to.

I've always maintained somewhere near a 1 mph overall hiking
rate in the Whites, with a full pack, when breaks and lunches are
factored in.  Maybe 1.5 mph with a day pack.  Even when I was
half my present age, it wasn't much faster than that.

If it's really flat territory I might hit upwards of 2 mph, but there
are few places where that happens (eg., the Rattle River Trail or
Ethan Pond Trail.)  There are far more examples of the
converse (incredibly steep and incredibly slow going.)

Another rule of thumb is 1 hour for every 1000 feet of vertical
(with a full pack) and maybe 1500 ft. per hour with a day pack.

I grant you that young, fit folks with long legs should be able
to beat these numbers, in most cases.

rafe b.
aka terrapin

---