[at-l] Trail maps and guide books

best two resources are the ALDHA Thru-hikers Companion (take the ring
binder off and only carry 15-20 pages at a time), and the custom trail
data and intinerary printouts you can make yourself if you buy the
current year CD-ROM that has all the shelters, roads, water sources,
mileage and other major landmarks in its database . . . I ended up
sending all the maps and trail guides home . . . some rightly say if you
are not real good in the woods to keep a good map; that is good advice,
but you not only lose a sense of truly being in the woods, you also may
end up having major emotional ups and downs based on those darn
elevation profiles, which just NEVER seemed to match my hiking reality!
The maps and trail guides are a great thing to have back home to bring
back memories and learn more and more about the places you hiked . . .
and my feelings on maps somehow are different for section hikes - I
always take them . . . just something about the thru-hike experience got
me to a point where I did not want them anymore . . .

thru-thinker