[at-l] First Aid Kit

I carry a very basic first aid kit.  It contains two different sized ace bandages (1" and 2"), some mole skin (If the person has a blister), duct tape (wrapped around my water bottle, to be used on hot spots before blisters are formed), several 1 inch bandages, 1 butterfly bandage, benadryl spray (for skin alergies), antibiotic cream, same sterile gauze, a roll of tape and a roll of lifesavers (sometimes all a person needs is a little extra sugar).  Most people on AMC hikes carry some sort of small first aid kit along with them.  For major bleading sanitary napkins (they are sterile) are very good, though I do have an old compression bandage.  Splints can be made from tree limbs or hiking poles.  The three things that I really worry about are heart attack (one usually has only an hour to get the individual to the hospital) major burns, and compound fratures.  On the trail one may be days from rescue and a hospital.  This is even true on the AT.

Grey Owl