[at-l] This weekends hiking

>The first bird we saw was a wild turkey (no not me :-)

We saw one Saturday, too.  With some imagination, we might have even seen
the AT off in the distance (or at least the Whites) from Mt. Monadnock, NH--
suposedly the first or second most climed mountain in the world.

Too bad about the hiker with the broken wrist.  It made me think about first
aid kits, too.  But in a different way.  When it comes to serious stuff like
that, what would be in first aid kit that could help?  I know that some of
the expedition sized ones have Sam splints and some real heavy-duty gear,
but who is going to lug that around?

I think what I could use most in a situation like that (in additition to
refresher first aid course) would be a little check list of basic
considerations for the situation.  As a reminder of what not to forget.  God
help a person having a heart attach along the Trail if I come along first--
because I sure won't be able to.  A broken wrist would have been plenty
challenging enough.  Sounds like the woman was lucky to have you along as a
group leader.

Rick B